Posts Tagged “art”

One of my oldest T-Shirt design ideas is, Visualize Whirled Peas. It’s been a fun design that has done well for me. It is a bit dated, in that I didn’t know all that much about graphics or make it so that it could be enlarged more than so much.

Since opening a shop at Spreadshirt where I can sell T-Shirts that use Flock or Flex printing… I decided to update the design idea so it could be used in my Spreadshirt Store.

Flock printing is:

  • velvety feel, like a thin layer of plush
  • extremely durable
  • up to 3 colors per design

Flex printing is:

  • slightly shiny, smooth surface
  • extremely durable
  • up to 3 colors per design

With the limited colors available for these printing methods I ended up with this design.

Visualize Whirled Peas image

Visualize Whirled Peas design for Flock or Flex printing

Quite different from the original, from way back when… The same idea, nonetheless.

Next, I modified the design for use in my Niftywares Shop that uses a different print method. Colors, shadows, and other effects are not limited there…

Visualize Whirled Peas design in Niftywares Store

Visualize Whirled Peas design for digital printing

As you can see, there are some differences, but still the same basic design. Hopefully the updated design will do well for quite some time.

Are you wondering what the old design looks like? Here it is:

Visualize Whirled Peas design in Niftywares Store

Visualize Whirled Peas design in Niftywares Store

Quite a change from one of my earliest design ideas to now.

Some details of how the update was done, for anyone interested:

The new design was created with Inkscape, a scaleable vector drawing program.

The first thing was to make the ‘Peas’ They started with a simple circle that was duplicated and resized several times to make one arm of a spiral.

Next was making tiled clones of the spiral that rotated around a center point. Lots of trial and error happened here in order to get a pattern that looked halfway decent. There was still a empty center after making the tiled clones, easily fixed by duplicating a few peas and placing them there.

Last was to add the text. For that it was a matter of finding the font and placing the text on a circle.

A little clean up and formatting and there was a finished design for flock or flex print.

Of course it really didn’t go all that quickly or smoothly at times… There was lots of trying different things and backing up to start over from the last save. Especially since I am still fairly new at using Inkscape and am still learning all the features and functions.

For the design to use for digital printing it was a matter of scaling to the proper size and adding some filters to the peas and text to make them look more 3 dimensional. Again some trial and error to get a good result.

There you have it, from start to finish it was around a day’s time. Planning and thinking… Well, that took a while more.

 

Comments No Comments »