A short time ago several truckloads of partly composted cow manure were delivered by a neighbor. Yesterday proved to be a good day to turn and pile the compost. I got the TD-6 international crawler tractor running for the first time this year and got the job done. Took some video of the compost being turned:

After turning a few more times, this should be some great compost to spread in the fall for next years market garden crops.

13 Responses to “Turning and Piling Compost”
  1. Okay, you are having just too much fun driving your machine over a pile of cow poop! I swear, you should add a sound track of the clacking noise a roller coaster makes when you go up a hill. I kept waiting for you to put your hands up and holler “WHEE!” Thanks, I needed a smile.

2. Composting says:

How often do you have to turn your compost pile? I just started one this spring and was just wondering.
    .-= Composting´s last blog ..Cowboy Casanova Carrie Underwood Video =-.

3. Janice Dugas says:

With all that compost you are bound to have a great garden. I love this time of year where we get to start on gardens and enjoy the warmer weather!

4. Nifty Galoot says:

I usually turn the pile every 3 to 4 weeks. Most of the time it’s when there’s time to do it with the bulldozer or tractor.

5. Abendtasche says:

I don’t enjoy working in the garden – but when I see my (elder) neighbours I suppose in 10 to 20 years I will also be working on the compost… :-))

6. Alia says:

We simply have a small home barrel with compost in it. Would you suggest keeping it open or closing the lid on it. Some say too much water is bad. obviously your compost is open air.

7. Kelly says:

That’s the biggest pile of….poop… I’ve ever seen. o.0 And I agree, that looks like way too much fun!

8. That is really fun to do. I actually use my tractor mor often than I have to just because it is the job that is most fun to do around here.

9. Nifty Galoot says:

Keeping a cover on can keep unwanted critters from digging in the compost and making a mess.

10. I really do need a cover on my compost pile. Anyone know what’s the best type of material to use?

11. Now that’s something you don’t do everyday I hope!

12. Mike Arnoel says:

I love this time of year, we have to start in the garden and enjoy the warm weather!

13. Ian Brodie says:

My little compost heap at the bottom of my garden get’s turned about once every 3 years.

Not good, I know. but if I had a tractor like that to do the work…

Ian